The drill is a familiar one.
Get up, do the day, go to bed, and start over, again.
If it weren’t for the human, life would be perfect.
But instead, the projects stay half done, the relationships remain fractured, the feelings of being overwhelmed and half-baked and over it simmer just beneath the surface to the point that sleep seems to be the only relief from the days that don’t go the way we have planned. Trouble is, lots of can’t even sleep anymore.
So we get clever and think things up to help ourselves get better.
- I just need to learn to clean my house better. If I just do that, I’ll finally be ok.
- If I could only learn to control my tongue. Yes, that’s the key to my happiness.
- If I will learn how to finally say no to people, then I will finally be at the place where I can rest and have peace.
We go on a quest to solve the certain things, only to find in the end that our human didn’t go away and neither did our daily struggle.
Turns out, smokescreen issues never solve the nagging God problems inside.
Before you bring out the protest posters, please hear this: yes, I think we should work on things that hinder us as a person, and maybe that includes becoming a better housekeeper. Certainly, if nothing else, it makes our housemates a whole lot happier and us better able to find something when it’s not buried beneath a pile.
But most surface things have hidden struggles at the core.
The truth is, many of us have wandered around for years, begging for scraps and glimpses of hope, in a stale relationship with God, filling our deep hunger pains with the wrong food, treating smokescreen issues as is they were the core problem.
Were we to choose, instead, to pursue a strong, passionate relationship with God, once and for all, a myriad of our problems would all fall away.
Because the priority of God brings order to the chaos of our lives.
I’ve watched it happen in my own life, heard testimony about it from the lives of others. Where once, relationships were in disarray and when trying to solve the relationship ourselves, it never worked. But once the relationship with God was pursued and aligned first, He put the other relationship, the seemingly unfixable one, back together, as only He can.
- We can clean our house better, but if our relationship with God is in disarray, the clutter will show up, again, in another area, because the soul isn’t well.
- We may learn the steps to control our tongue from the pages of a book, but if we don’t fall in love with Jesus and it becomes a deeper commitment, those steps will eventually be forgotten and we will default to the familiar.
So many of us are weary, to the bone, of the daily grind…of trying, striving, making steps, going back, again, feeling like we can’t make the true progress we want…
So many of us say we want to walk strong and effective through this life instead of walking scared and Kingdom ineffective…
It may seem like a helpless, stale, hard place to be but it is actually the place of hope because when we come to the end of our efforts and human brave, Jesus can do what He does best and save us.
To walk Jesus Strong through this life is going to mean we are going to have to be honest with ourselves about the smokescreen issues we keep throwing up to avoid the real problem. (see Declaration 3 in Put Your Warrior Boots On: I Will Tell the Truth to Myself and Others)
Our first step to becoming a Jesus warrior? Deal with the nagging God problem within so He can make us into the warriors we are meant to be.
I’m in. How about you?
Pre-Order Put Your Warrior Boots On!
Pre-order today and you can claim your bonus gifts:
- Start reading the Introduction + Chapter One
- The 8 Warrior Boots Declarations PRINTABLE
- Exclusive access to Lisa's new ReClaim video series